Computer hard drive is a mechanical computer components, it has a mechanical arm that moves when it is reading and writing data, without a proper maintenance, the hard drive could become slower and slower over time and cause various hardware faults and serious system errors like Msvbvm50.dll error. for hardware faults, if you unluckily ran into a serious one, the chance to fix it is little and also expensive, most of the time there is nothing you can do but to change a new hardware. But for the system errors it cause, you can use Check Disk tool to fix most of them. Check Disk (CHKDSK) is a utility available in each Windows system which is used for scanning and repairing hard drive errors and bad sectors, preventing further deterioration, this is really a useful tool, you can run it once or twice a month, this could also help improving your PC stability.
How to use Check Disk tool exactly
Check Disk tool is easy to use, the following tutorial will teach you how to use it, these steps are applied in both Windows 7 and XP system.
- Go to Start menu > My Computer (or Computer)
- Right click the hard drive you want to check.
- Click Properties in the appeared menu.
- Click Tools tab, and then click Check Now button.
- You will then see a message pop-up, asking if you want to ‘Automatically fix file system errors’ and ‘Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors’, check both the checkbox and then click Start button.
- Please note that Check Disk need to be run alone as it will access to the drive exclusively, make sure to close all other unnecessary programs before you run the Check Disk, otherwise you will receive message show like below:
- Also, Check Disk utility offers Schedule task, if you want your hard drive to be scanned regularly, simply click the Schedule Check Disk button and follow the instruction to setup the Schedule.
Now all you need is to grab a couple of coffee and alow the Check Disk do the job, and then enjoy the optimized disk performance it brings you. For more information you can refer to Microsoft website about Check your hard disk for errors.