Long-distance relationships are difficult — super difficult — but they’re doable, and come with a huge host of benefits. Seriously! For example…
1. Communication becomes sacred. You’ll value any and all messages from your partner infinitely more.
2. Only being able to talk at certain times also means you get the happy jitters every time you hear your partner’s voice.
3. And, thankfully, you’ll be so eager to catch up that you won’t bother with awkward small talk.
4. If things go well, distance helps trust grow exponentially.
5. Being separate means you can master being independent and in a relationship.
6. Awkward moments between yourself and your other’s parents are completely nonexistent.
7. Travel! Adventures are great, especially when the person you love is your destination.
8. And that moment when you first see each other again — priceless.
9. Gifts and surprises are now worth infinitely more than they were before.
10. And you have an excuse to unleash your inner romantic: Handwritten letters and postcards are the best.
11. Although you may fight, it’s often because you’ll wish the two of you just had more time together. You know, though, that you always have something to look forward to.
12. Finally, if your long-distance relationship is successful, you can rest assured that your relationship is pretty golden.